Friday 17 August 2012

Summer makeup/perfume haul

I didn't think I'd keep to my New Year's Resolution of a no-makeup-buy but I was very good this year and decided I would splurge this summer as I've used up a lot of my makeup.

First up I purchased the Sleek Suede Effect Powder in Shade 01 (the lightest) which was £7 for 10.5g. I finished the Bourjois powder I loved and was going to repurchase it when I saw Sleek's powder. I've tried one of their powders before but it was a luminising powder and since I have oily skin (which is plain old greasy in the summer) the luminising powder did not help at all. This Suede Effect powder, however, has a mattifying effect without being mask like. You can also build up the coverage you want (as seen by finger swatches below). It has SPF15 which really doesn't do much at all but I'm not fussed either way.
Comes with a little sponge

Heavily and lightly swatched
I'm definitely tempted to pick up a darker shade to use for contouring. There are four shades in total.

Next up I bought another GOSH blush for £6.99. I now own one cream blush, 5 powder blushes and one bronzer from the brand and I love them all. They have a nice subtle but buildable coverage and last quite well on my skin. I also love the fact that they don't have shimmer or glitter in them. Sleek blushes have fantastic pigmentation and come in an array of shades but when I need something easy to work with that doesn't require too much blending I always go straight for GOSH.

I hate Superdrug's sticky security tags :(
I bought my first ever Collection (formerly Collection 2000) single eyeshadow. I decided to try a safe highlight colour and it's decent enough for £2.19 but I can find better and cheaper eyeshadows from MUA so it's safe to say it's my first and last foray into Collection eyeshadows.
Talking of MUA here are the two single eyeshadows I bought at £1 each.
The matte purple is pretty good for a drugstore eyeshadow although of course it doesn't rival better mattes from higher end brands like Inglot. But I mean for a pound it's quite impressive. The shimmer brown/dual chrome eyeshadow looks grey in this picture but goes on brown with a hint of blue/green, similar to MAC's Club eyeshadow.
Obviously I've mismatched my swatched fingers but here you can see they have good pigmentation, especially the shimmer shade.
I picked up the MUA BB foundation for £4 in the shade Medium. It has good coverage for a BB cream but made me an oil slick within 5 minutes so it's completely redundant on me :( I will save to use on my dry skinned pals when I do their makeup but I wouldn't recommend for oily or combination skin types.
The August edition of Marie Claire magazine came with  a free Avon mascara. I chose a copy that had Supershock in it only because it's the only mascara I had heard of and I'm glad I did because this mascara is usually priced at £10 and the magazine was less than £4 so I made quite a saving.
Barry M currently have a 2 for £5 deal going so I grabbed 2 of their glitter nail polishes and LOVE them. Unlike a lot of glitter polishes that deliver a clear polish with very little suspended glitter in them these cover the whole nail in two coats. I am certainly going to go and purchase some more Barry M polishes because I now see what the buzz was about.
Finally I purchased Hugo Boss Boss Orange Woman Eau de Toilette. I had a look on the Debenhams website and it says it's £29 but when I bought it in store a few weeks ago it was £24. I also got £10 off with my Debenhams beauty card so I think this was well worth it for £14 :) It's subtle, soft and feminine which are the adjectives I go for with perfumes (I hate overpowering and heady scents) and has a hint of sweet oranges as the name implies. It doesn't last as long as I wish it did so I think I will invest in parfums rather than eau de toilettes in future.


The side of the bottle
I love getting free samples.
The end :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...